Friday 13 April 2012

Tutorial one - Information technology and ethical issues


My first post is all about information technology and ethical issues related to information technology.  I will define information technology and information communications technology and interpret these into my own words, then go on to discuss information technology in relation to occupational therapy and enabling occupation.

Information technology is seen as “the development, implementation, and maintenance of computer hardware and software systems to organize and communicate information electronically” (Dictionary.com, 2012).
Information communication technology also known as ICT is seen as “an umbrella term that includes any communication device or application, encompassing: radio, television, cellular phones, computer and network hardware and software, satellite systems and so on, as well as the various services and applications associated with them, such as videoconferencing and distance learning” (Tech-target, 2012).

To me information technology identifies that technology is used to produce, store, maintain and develop information for example computers are used to store, produce, maintain and develop information.  Information technology can also be used to retrieve and send information an example is through the use of computers, as emails can be sent or retrieved regarding information and cell phones where messages are sent or received to communicate information to one another.  On the other hand I understand information communications technology as the identification of devices used to store, produce, maintain and develop information.  These devises can include radio, computers, laptops, television and mobile phones.

In today’s society humans are dependant on technology.  Technology has come along way since the use of a pen and paper to write a letter to communicate with others, to the latest communication tools such as email and cell phones.  It is through the use of technology that humans are able to communicate. Technology would be without a place in society if it wasn’t constantly developing and if it wasn’t for human use.  Without technology there would be no movement of everyday life and no interaction of humans.  Humans rely on technology so heavily now days for example creating this blog; I rely on information from the Internet and from online resources provided by my lecturer.  Bellow is a youtube link to the future vision of information technology.

I feel that growing up in my generation that I am comfortable and competent in using many different types of technology as I have been brought up using technology.  I use technologies such as my cell phone and laptop every day.  I use my cell phone to communicate with friends and family, I use it as a tool to wake me up, which enables occupation.  I use my laptop to research things, communicate with others through facebook and skype and to do my class work.  I feel that without these devices I would find things difficult.  With out my laptop I would not be able to complete my class work and not be able to communicate with people.  It is simple to say that I depend on technology and most of society does now days.

Information technology and occupational therapy relate very heavily.  Information technology can be used in occupational therapy to aid in the development of an individuals life.  Information technology can be used to undertake tasks and to develop knowledge of an individual’s impairment.  I have seen first hand information technology being applied in occupational therapy.  Through the aid of technology a 19-year-old boy was able to listen to his music when he wanted by controlling it himself without help from others.  The technology used was a simple pair of speakers that were adapted with a large and easy button which was the controller so the individuals was able to control what song he listened to and how loud it was.  Bellow is a link to YouTube about the use technology can have with occupational therapy.  Tasks are identified which use assistive technology such as cooking and general ADL’s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URaiVEY9QZU

There are some issues, which exist around occupational therapy adoption of information technology systems and tools, these issues are, does the technology actually benefit the client/individual? Does the occupational therapist really know how to operate the equipment? And lastly how reliable is the technology?  For example something as simple as what I mentioned before a set of speakers may not be as simple for an occupational therapist to operate.  That is why it is important as an occupational therapist when prescribing equipment or technology, to gain some background knowledge on the technology or equipment.  Also as an occupational therapy student I rely on my laptop a lot, I envisage when I graduate and practicing occupational therapy that I will still be relying on my laptop in regards to working with clients and researching information, what am I to do if my laptop crashes? Will I lose all my information?  Now day’s technology is relied on heavily but people aren’t prepared for what happens if something was to go wrong with it.

I personally can envisage information technology becoming a predominant tool in occupational therapy.  This may be because as a society we are becoming more reliant on technology but I truly believe that the use of information technology aids in an individuals/clients life.  For example with the use of technology individuals are able to cook, clean and do ADL’s.  For many individuals the use of technology makes tasks become meaningful and purposeful as they can achieve what they aim to.  The previous YouTube link shows how assistive technology aids in creating a meaningful and purposeful task/activity, this link also shows how assistive technology is changing and becoming a predominant tool in occupational therapy.

I feel that it is important to have an understanding of information technology as it is becoming more common in today’s society, especially in health professions.  It is through technology that individuals are able to achieve something and focus on something, through setting a goal and using technology individuals are able to achieve things.  Using information technology to enable occupation in our daily lives can sometimes make things easier for individuals, however if the individual does not understand technology and is not confident using it this can cause a problem and occupation may not be enabled.  I feel very strongly that an individual needs to be whiling to use information technology to enable occupation.

Lastly there are some ethical issues and implications around information technology and transferring information.  This is where the law is involved, as copy right laws are an important aspect of transferring or capturing information.  It is also very important when sharing information such as photos that the individuals in the image give consent. Information technology is always going to have a degree of ethical issues and implications surrounding it.


References:
Dictionary.com. (2012). Information technology definition. Retrieved from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/information+technology?s=t

Tech – target. (2012). Information Communications technology definition. Retrieved from http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarget.com/definition/ICT

No comments:

Post a Comment